Jay's surgery was already a month ago, and he is doing awesome! I'm so proud of him. I wanted to document his surgery into more detail for those of you who are wondering how he did and how he is doing currently.
Jays surgery Day was April 10th and was scheduled for 10:55am. We show up around 8:30 and they get him checked in and in a bed & gown. We hung out for a long time, they told us that the surgery before Jay is taking longer, So it will be a while. Finally it's 12:50 and we part ways. I head to the waiting room with a beeper that will buzz when he's done. I sit down in front of this huge screen and wait for Jays number, 137 to turn blue, which means he's in Surgery. 12:55 and his number turns blue. My heart started beating fast and I became anxious. I texted family and friends and let them all know that he was in surgery. After what felt like an hour, I looked at the clock. It's 1:15. You've GOT to be kidding me! I'm not sure why I felt so anxious. I knew he'd be fine and that he was in good care. The only thing I can think of, is that I was in a waiting room full of random people and NOT with him. And the only "communication" I had with Jay was a big screen, with his number lit in blue. Luckily I brought some yarn and I started working on a beanie for him, that he had been wanting for a couple of months. Besides the first 20 minutes, time actually went by quickly. I finished Jay's beanie while listening to other people chat all while watching Days of Our lives, eating honey roasted peanuts and drinking a Dt. Coke. So really, it wasn't too bad. ;)
Jays surgery Day was April 10th and was scheduled for 10:55am. We show up around 8:30 and they get him checked in and in a bed & gown. We hung out for a long time, they told us that the surgery before Jay is taking longer, So it will be a while. Finally it's 12:50 and we part ways. I head to the waiting room with a beeper that will buzz when he's done. I sit down in front of this huge screen and wait for Jays number, 137 to turn blue, which means he's in Surgery. 12:55 and his number turns blue. My heart started beating fast and I became anxious. I texted family and friends and let them all know that he was in surgery. After what felt like an hour, I looked at the clock. It's 1:15. You've GOT to be kidding me! I'm not sure why I felt so anxious. I knew he'd be fine and that he was in good care. The only thing I can think of, is that I was in a waiting room full of random people and NOT with him. And the only "communication" I had with Jay was a big screen, with his number lit in blue. Luckily I brought some yarn and I started working on a beanie for him, that he had been wanting for a couple of months. Besides the first 20 minutes, time actually went by quickly. I finished Jay's beanie while listening to other people chat all while watching Days of Our lives, eating honey roasted peanuts and drinking a Dt. Coke. So really, it wasn't too bad. ;)
Finally after 3 hours, my buzzer, buzzed. They told me that they are "closing him up" (I can think of another way of saying it, but point taken!) and to head into a little room. I waited for another half hour. Surgeon came it. Everything went great, he says (Remove fingernails out of mouth). He told me that Jay actually had two inflamed areas and the camera was up 2ft higher in an area they didn't know about. They took 14 inches up there in his ileum, then they took 8 inches of his Colon/ileum and he was able to connect "healthy to healthy" in all 4 spots. Wahoo! He also said that the passage way of his intestines were so constricted (From all the scar tissue from inflammation), that both areas were the size of the ink part of a ball point pen. He was surprised that food was actually getting through and that he hadn't had any problems with blockage, especially with a camera being in there too. But surgery was a success! I thought about giving the man a hug for his good work, but opted for a handshake. I went to return my beeper and head back to see Jay, but they declined my enthusiasm and told me to wait in the waiting room while he's in recovery. FOR AN HOUR, maybe more. What? So I continued to watch the big screen and his number 137, being purple this time and just waited. Called family, updated friends via texted and FB friends, letting everyone know that things went great! Met a lady who had a 71 year old husband with Crohns who was still in surgery. He was having a similar surgery like Jay's but possibly worse off. I never found her again, but I hope all went well.
Finally my buzzer went off again and I was able to go to Jay's room. I walked in and he was laying there, he opened his eyes and he opened his fist, wanting me to hold it. He was the cutest thing ever!!
He slept most that night, and a lot the next day. On Wednesday he could barely walk 5 feet and we thought that maybe we'd be there till Sunday. But Everyday was better and by Thursday he passed gas. YAY! His intestines "woke up" and that meant he could go home soon. Friday he felt even better and looked great, they sent him home around 2:00. We had a great experience this time around (hospital-stay, wise). All the nurses were amazing and loved Jay and his good spirits.
Jay took a couple of weeks off of work, Surgery was the first week, then the 2nd week he was home and we LOVED spending all that time with him... gimpy and all. ;) Third week he worked about 35 hours doing desk work, and last week he started full time into his regular duties. I can't believe it. He recovered so well and quicker than what we were told and what we anticipated.
Now if I can a thank few...
First I wanted to thank My Father in Heaven for EVERYTHING! For all the good in our lives. For the happiness he shows us everyday. For Him I am indebted for my many blessing... everything that I have is because of Him.
I'm grateful for amazing surgeons and medicine that we have today. I can't believe that just decades ago, this surgery was not nearly as good as they are now. Patients had many complications and a significant chance of dying. Now, call me dramatic... BUT seriously... Thankful for TODAY, for 2012 and everything that comes with it.
I wanted to thank so many of you who sent well wishes and prayers in Jay's behalf. What great friends and family we have. My parents and siblings took care of Gwen & Oscar the whole time. It meant a lot to us, so that I could be where I felt like I needed to be, which was with Jay. We are truly humbled with the outpouring of love and feel very fortunate.
I also wanted to say how proud I am of Jay. He wasn't nervous at all for this surgery... not even a little bit. In fact, when he was in the surgery room he started whistling to a song that was playing, "Eye of the Tiger" and the surgeon asked; "is that you whistling?" And Jay replied, "Yes, this is a great song." Then the surgeon told him that it's not too often he hears whistling from a patient who's about to have surgery. =) I am proud of how quickly he was able to bounce back. There's no doubt in my mind why he's recovering so quickly... it's his bright enthusiasm and smiling personality. The boy shines. AND I love that most about him.
Here are bunch of pictures of the Jay in the hospital and at home in no particular order, because it takes too long to fix it. ;)
Goodbye hospital!
Big Screen.. Jay is number 137
![]() | ||||||||||||||||||||
Jay's insides... Top two are 8 inches of his Colon & ileum, right one being slit opened.
Bottom two are the 14 inches in his upper ileum where the camera was, the right one being slit opened. That little Yellow capsule is the used-to-be white camera capsule he swallowed 6 weeks prior.
10 days after, staples removed..
Jay walking, and made it to the hallway! He looks irritated here, but I promise he wasn't =)
One of the awesome nurses gave the kids cute little puppies when they visited =)
Gwen with her new puppy from the sweet nurse
My sleeping Jaylo
Gwen visiting Daddy
A closer look at the camera and his intestine. All the yellow, bright red/orange that you see here, is not the normal color of intestines. This is all inflamed area.
My Jaylo, right before surgery..
Sunday Evening, 5 days post surgery, he took off the bandages
4 incisions total... Staples above the bellybutton and the three little ones were stitched up.
A couple of days before the staples came out...
Jay with his girly
JayJay resting from his breathing exercises (Which is on his lap)
You should see him now. He healed up quite nicely and we have even been told, that I look more tired than him. Compliment for Jay... not so much for me. ;)
Thanks again for all the love!!



3 comments:
I am so glad he is getting back to normal. I can imagine how hard this whole thing must've been on your guys. We love you lots. Give those cute kids hugs and kisses from me!
I am so glad everything went well for you guys! You are very blessed!
dang girl, you need to title this post: "do not read while eating"! lol. those intestines are sick. i guess literally and figuratively.
so glad jaylo is feeling better, and probably a little lighter, too, huh? jay totally shines. we can't wait to see you guys in July.
Post a Comment