Thursday, March 23, 2006

Fun stuff...

So we wake up at about 9:30, get ready, Jay's two buddies stop by to give him a blessing and we were off to the hospital. We got there at about 10:30 and we got right in. after all the prepping... including Jay's favorite part of the day.... the enema... we were ready for surgery. Just over an hour later the doctor came out and found me. He told me that the surgery went great and that he ended up doing the easier procedure (a Fistulotomy) rather then the harder surgery (a Seton) the doctor told us yesterday that he thought he would have to perform the Seton due to Jay’s Crohns… (With a fistula caused by Crohns, the fistula somehow creates a different, more complicated route) if that makes any sense. Anyway, I was relieved they didn’t have to do the Seton!!! I met Jay in the recovery room and he was making John jokes already :) We hung out there for a bit, then Jay began to be impatient wanting to leave.. don’t blame him. We got a wheelchair and we started down the hallway when Jay tells us he’s not feeling good. The nurse ran for a vomit bowl… almost too late and poor Jay throws up. Jay filled about 3 of those little vomit bowls… and I wont forget to mentions they’re so small that he missed a couple of times. Stupid bowls… who throws up that little? Anyway, Jay felt better after that and even asked the nurse for an oreo.. the nurse was hesitant but gave it to me to give to him at home….. but you know I couldn’t resist those pretty blues when he wanted the oreo in the car :)
We got home and he ate some food and we napped for a bit. We woke up and Jay was really uncomfortable due to all the gauze shoved up his poor bum. He soaked in the bath to take off the bandages then there was one more piece of gauze up there I couldn’t get. So jay tried. Bad idea… if we had only known. As soon as Jay pulled it out, blood started gushing out of him. Jay could feel the blood leaving him. So what does any Ricker due….. throws up (just kidding… I would have to) He threw up… a lot! In the tub I might add. My poor husby was sitting on the toilet bleeding from one end and throwing up for the other. But he was a trooper, I re-bandaged him and got everything all cleaned up and he was back to Jay in no time :) we fed him more and took his pain meds and watched a movie.. thanks for supplying the movie Julia… and sorry that you made it just on time for the vomiting :)

Anyway, Jay’s doing well and sleeping right now. Thanks to all for your prayers and thoughts. We sure appreciate it.

Oh’ and les… I really would put before and after pict’s on here… but I don’t think some people would appreciate them too much. So we’ll show you this weekend… the real deal that is :) but Ricker… you might want to sit out.. we don’t need any fainters in the room!!! Ha ha!!! Take care all… Heath y Jay

6 comments:

Crawfords said...

What a sweet little story...Isn't it fun being married, Heather? Who would've thought that you'd be pulling gauze out of his butt so soon!
Seriously, though. We glad that everything is getting better. Have fun with our boys. They're very excited to see you guys.

Julie Rowlett said...

If you had only known that "in sickness and health" would mostly be sickness. Ahh, maybe you'll get it next time. Just KIDDING! I was happy to be a part of Jay's vomitous moment. I think the meds made him a little kooky, though. Or should I say "cookie"(now that I have none left!) :)

Julie Kirby said...

What a pleasant story. I think the only place medically worse than having a baby is surgery on the butt. Sorry he had to endure that & you too.

Josh Ricker said...

You must be talking about a different "Ricker" than me, because i'm not a fainter. Except for that one time when I was little I fainted when I cut my hand open. Or, there was that one time that I fainted when my mom was extracting a HUGE splinter that was wedged under my fingernail. Actually, there was another time I fainted when I was giving blood and the nurse decided to wiggle the needle because my arm wasn't draining any blood at all. And then there's my slightly embarrassing fainting story when I was visiting a friend in the hospital that was about to have open-heart surgery. The doctor was drawing some pictures of the surgery to explain to the innocent bystanders how the procedure would take place. In my defense, the drawings were good...he is a doctor :) Glad everything went well for Jay. I might not look at those pictures though. -Josh

Jay said...

yeah i dont faint either... except for that one time, my first day workin at the dental office, and i saw the dentist putting in a wedge between teeth. it was very bloody and painful... or niether of those... or there was that other time that i past out and went into convulsions.. alright so i guess we are a fainting family... but atleast josh and i arent as bad as jeff (our brother)... he passes out if you give him a funny look. jay

Gary Arnell said...

Whew, that was pretty intense. I think I need to go lie down. We sure hope Jay's fulling recovered - wouldn't want him falling behind... ~g