Wednesday 8/22/2007
Wednesday morning we woke up early and drove to San Salvador and caught a 5 dollar bus, (which means it was the nicest bus) to San Miguel... a 3 hour bus ride. Can't beat 5 bucks. We had recliner chairs and they played the lamest movie we had ever seen... Jackie Chan in the 70's, on skates. Oh' and the bathroom didn't have toilet paper or running water. I brought napkins in with me, but the other ladies didn't do such thing. I'm still not quite sure what they did. drip dry?
Anyway, the bus ride was great and then we took a taxi from the terminal to Pizza Hut. You guys have no idea how good Pizza Hut is there. I can't even eat it here with out feeling sick. But in El Salv... seriously amazing. It's actually a nice, sit down family restaurant there... always packed and there's even a play land for kids. After the Hut we walked 2 blocks to our hotel, then we were off again to visit our first family. We rode a taxi and walked through the "neighborhood", or what I can only call... a maze, to find the Segovia's home. We visited them for the night and it was so good to finally meet this family because Jay has talked a lot about them. They are a family of four kids, all grown up and all served missions, living with the parents in a two bedroom home. Three girls and one brother and they used to help Jay and his companion visit families and go on splits. They were the reason Jay had a lot of success in this area. They absolutely love Jay and it was fun to be there. They even sectioned off a square of their dinning room and put a bed and everything for us to stay there.... we felt so bad to deny there hospitality.. we had already paid for a hotel :( That night we tried to visit another family, but we got there too late and they were not home, or asleep. So we caught a taxi and went back to our hotel. Jay wishes we could have seen more people there. Next time I guess.
Here are the pict's of San Miguel.

On the bus ride... El Salv sure is beautiful!

A few neighbor kids who are in the ward kept coming by to see what these gringo's were about.
Their dad died about a year ago of asthma. Sad

Jay with the Segovia family.

The two cute twin neighbor boys. When we mentioned taking a picture, the one holding the book ran home to put on his nice shoes for the pict. adorable
____________________________________________________________________
Thursday 8/23/2007
We left San Miguel around 9:30, took a taxi to the terminal and found a bus that would take us to our next destination. We had an hour bus ride to another terminal and switched buses and headed towards Zacatecoluca. Now this was an interesting bus ride. My first time riding along with a rooster and road construction, leaving us on a stopped bus for 2 hours. amazing. Now you ask; "why didn't you get off the bus and hang out outside where it wasn't 110 degrees with a nice cool breeze". Well, I'll tell you why.... at any time traffic would start going and all automobiles would take off like it was a race (heaven forbid letting another car get in front of you). The bus workers all got off and would be standing on the road, and when traffic moved... the bus took off and the bus workers would run after the moving bus and jump on through the back door. I didn't think I was capable of jumping on a moving vehicle, and not wanting to risk being stuck on the side of the road. Hence.... we stayed on the bus and were miserable for 2 hours. But we did make it! that's the important part.
We arrived in Zacatecoluca and walked to another families little eatery and spent a good part of the night with them. Jay actually baptized this family and they were so happy to see him. It took them a second to recognize him, not wearing his white shirt and tie...cause that's the only thing different about him now. We visited another family that night and stayed in a hotel close by. There's a funny story along with this night... but I'm too embarrassed to tell... so if you wanna hear it... ask me another time. In my defense, I would have been eaten ALIVE by mosquitos!
Pictures of Zacatecoluca

On our way to Zacatecoluca
El Salv is definitely volcano territory

A rooster in bag and a lady who performed the act of breastfeeding. She just whipped it out... no blanket, with a stranger holding a rooster by her side. Now, I'm no pro at breastfeeding, but I'm pretty sure this isn't normal.
Oh' yeah, the rooster eventually made his way out of the bag and pooped all over the bus floor. Classic.

Bernardo and José in their backyard

So the families who can't afford the wire to keep the bad guys out, just put broken glass bottles in the wet cement. Then it dries and walla!
pretty smart if you ask me... I most certain I wouldn't attempt... would you?

José (12) and Bernardo (16)

The Villalta family. The dad was working and came home later

The second family we went to see. Jay taught the kid in red and he got baptized. Jay called the guy in white "Papi" because he was like his Pa away from his real Pa.
Side story: when Jay's parents went down to pick him up this guy invited them to stay there and he made a dresser especially for Jay's parents to use while they were there.

THE skinniest dog I have ever seen... and it's not even a street dog.. it's a pet

They look happy to be in the picture eh?

I love this picture.... he was super cute

Jay and I riding El Salvadorian style. Back of a truck. Don't tell Rog

Back at the Villalta's pad. Jay felt weird being so short compared to everyone else.

Wednesday morning we woke up early and drove to San Salvador and caught a 5 dollar bus, (which means it was the nicest bus) to San Miguel... a 3 hour bus ride. Can't beat 5 bucks. We had recliner chairs and they played the lamest movie we had ever seen... Jackie Chan in the 70's, on skates. Oh' and the bathroom didn't have toilet paper or running water. I brought napkins in with me, but the other ladies didn't do such thing. I'm still not quite sure what they did. drip dry?
Anyway, the bus ride was great and then we took a taxi from the terminal to Pizza Hut. You guys have no idea how good Pizza Hut is there. I can't even eat it here with out feeling sick. But in El Salv... seriously amazing. It's actually a nice, sit down family restaurant there... always packed and there's even a play land for kids. After the Hut we walked 2 blocks to our hotel, then we were off again to visit our first family. We rode a taxi and walked through the "neighborhood", or what I can only call... a maze, to find the Segovia's home. We visited them for the night and it was so good to finally meet this family because Jay has talked a lot about them. They are a family of four kids, all grown up and all served missions, living with the parents in a two bedroom home. Three girls and one brother and they used to help Jay and his companion visit families and go on splits. They were the reason Jay had a lot of success in this area. They absolutely love Jay and it was fun to be there. They even sectioned off a square of their dinning room and put a bed and everything for us to stay there.... we felt so bad to deny there hospitality.. we had already paid for a hotel :( That night we tried to visit another family, but we got there too late and they were not home, or asleep. So we caught a taxi and went back to our hotel. Jay wishes we could have seen more people there. Next time I guess.
Here are the pict's of San Miguel.

On the bus ride... El Salv sure is beautiful!

A few neighbor kids who are in the ward kept coming by to see what these gringo's were about.
Their dad died about a year ago of asthma. Sad

Jay with the Segovia family.

The two cute twin neighbor boys. When we mentioned taking a picture, the one holding the book ran home to put on his nice shoes for the pict. adorable
____________________________________________________________________
Thursday 8/23/2007
We left San Miguel around 9:30, took a taxi to the terminal and found a bus that would take us to our next destination. We had an hour bus ride to another terminal and switched buses and headed towards Zacatecoluca. Now this was an interesting bus ride. My first time riding along with a rooster and road construction, leaving us on a stopped bus for 2 hours. amazing. Now you ask; "why didn't you get off the bus and hang out outside where it wasn't 110 degrees with a nice cool breeze". Well, I'll tell you why.... at any time traffic would start going and all automobiles would take off like it was a race (heaven forbid letting another car get in front of you). The bus workers all got off and would be standing on the road, and when traffic moved... the bus took off and the bus workers would run after the moving bus and jump on through the back door. I didn't think I was capable of jumping on a moving vehicle, and not wanting to risk being stuck on the side of the road. Hence.... we stayed on the bus and were miserable for 2 hours. But we did make it! that's the important part.
We arrived in Zacatecoluca and walked to another families little eatery and spent a good part of the night with them. Jay actually baptized this family and they were so happy to see him. It took them a second to recognize him, not wearing his white shirt and tie...cause that's the only thing different about him now. We visited another family that night and stayed in a hotel close by. There's a funny story along with this night... but I'm too embarrassed to tell... so if you wanna hear it... ask me another time. In my defense, I would have been eaten ALIVE by mosquitos!
Pictures of Zacatecoluca

On our way to Zacatecoluca
El Salv is definitely volcano territory

A rooster in bag and a lady who performed the act of breastfeeding. She just whipped it out... no blanket, with a stranger holding a rooster by her side. Now, I'm no pro at breastfeeding, but I'm pretty sure this isn't normal.
Oh' yeah, the rooster eventually made his way out of the bag and pooped all over the bus floor. Classic.

Bernardo and José in their backyard

So the families who can't afford the wire to keep the bad guys out, just put broken glass bottles in the wet cement. Then it dries and walla!
pretty smart if you ask me... I most certain I wouldn't attempt... would you?

José (12) and Bernardo (16)

The Villalta family. The dad was working and came home later

The second family we went to see. Jay taught the kid in red and he got baptized. Jay called the guy in white "Papi" because he was like his Pa away from his real Pa.
Side story: when Jay's parents went down to pick him up this guy invited them to stay there and he made a dresser especially for Jay's parents to use while they were there.

THE skinniest dog I have ever seen... and it's not even a street dog.. it's a pet

They look happy to be in the picture eh?

I love this picture.... he was super cute

Jay and I riding El Salvadorian style. Back of a truck. Don't tell Rog

Back at the Villalta's pad. Jay felt weird being so short compared to everyone else.

Playing soccer on their new computer, and Jay's shorts falling off.
Most of these families didn't know Jay was coming, so to see their faces when they first recognized Jay (through all that hair) was absolutely my favorite part. It's something special I'll never forget.
Most of these families didn't know Jay was coming, so to see their faces when they first recognized Jay (through all that hair) was absolutely my favorite part. It's something special I'll never forget.
Soyapango... coming soon
5 comments:
Too Cute!! I love that they all LOVE Jay...but then again, I guess, who doesn't??? We're off to Taco Time (in Sandy, I might add)...I hate you...I'm addicted!!
Love the pics! You guys really went everywhere! I am so excited to hear about your night in the hotel (the one you are embarrassed about). We miss you guys so much! ~Erin
But we all love embarrassing stories so we can have something to raz you about. How nice to go to a foriegn country and know lots of people.
You guys took some great photos. You must have had multiple memory sticks! : ) Todd says "Me gusta" to the picture that you took for him...
Almost like being there. Thanks for sharing your time with us while we were in Utah. It was fun being and talking with you. I think I must have missed something in your post about your "embarrasing" night in the hotel. Expect to be cornered next time we see you. Love ya tons, Dad
Post a Comment