Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Oscar's birth & pictures

Thursday night, the 23rd, Jay & I headed in to the hospital at 8:00 pm. We dropped Miss Gwen off at Leslie & Josh’s (Thank you, Dobles). They started me on a very low dose of pitocen for the night, Jay & I just hung out until they gave me a sleeping pill and 30 minutes later, I was out like a light. 5:30 AM came and the nurse checked me, I was dilated at a 5 cm but Oscar still hadn’t dropped. We just waited around all morning for my midwife to show up to break my water. She showed up around 9:30 and I was at a 6 cm and she broke my water. I still couldn’t feel any contractions at this point, so I sat on a large ball, in hopes Oscar would drop. Still, nothing. Around 11:00, I started to feel a little bit of contractions, so I asked for the epidural (I had no idea how long or quick this little guy would take and I wasn’t about to chance NOT getting the epidural). The epidural went fine, she had to poke me four times before she got it, but thankfully it didn’t hurt at all. A couple hours later I was at an 8 cm. Oscar still hadn’t dropped and was still sitting sidewise (not face up or down). So they maneuvered me on my left side for an hour (with my right leg up in the stirrup), then switched me to my right side for an hour and voilà… I’m to 10 cm. Not sure why they didn’t try that trick first thing this morning =) Anyway, it was time to push. The nurse started “practice pushing” with me and after two sets, she told me to stop. She called my midwife and the nurses started getting things ready. My midwife walked in and took one look and said “Wow… there he is” (his little head was showing). My midwife got herself ready and she had me push about 2 more sets and Oscar was here. Oscar was 9 lbs. 8 oz. My Midwife could NOT believe how big he was (So much for going a week early in hopes for a smaller baby). Turns out that’s why he wouldn’t drop so easily and if we would have waited a week, chances are he would have come cesarean and been over 10 lbs. (like his Dad was!). Overall, it was a great labor and delivery. I wasn’t in any pain whatsoever and only pushed a few times (compared to Gwen’s two & a half hours). And the recovery is already SOOOO much better than with Gwen’s.

Although, if I may complain a bit… I do however, have such a thing called PUPPP’s. Awesome! I got a rash on my stomach about 2 weeks before delivery, and once I delivered it has spread to my bum, lower back, legs, feet, arms, ect. It is by far the MOST horrible itching I have every experienced. I CAN’T NOT itch it! I’ve been taking baking soda & oatmeal baths and going through tubes and tubes of different creams. Nothing seems to work for too long. Oh’ and only 1 out of 150-200 pregnant ladies get PUPPP’s. But I guess things could have been worse somehow, so I’ll just keep itching till I bleed and hope it goes away soon. It is however, already a ton better this week.

We are enjoying our little guy to pieces. He is precious.

Gwen has had a bit of a harder week. She can definitely tell things are different and she’s letting us know. It took her a few days to even acknowledge Oscar, but at the same time, has become a little protective of him. When we took Oscar in for his 2-3 day appointment, the Dr. picked up Oscar and Gwen did NOT like it and told her “No No No!”. She also did the same thing to a friend who picked him up and walked away with him. She seems to be doing a little better his week, saying “baby” and “oscah” and carries around a doll, mimicking things I do with Oscar.

Things have been great. And a huge part of that comes from Jay. He is such a great dad & husband. I can count on one hand how many diapers I had to change last week. Not only that, but he did all the feedings for Gwen, put her down for naps & bed time…. Everything! All while still taking care of Oscar and me. He is amazing. He makes life just that much easier & I’m SO grateful for him & all that he does for us. He went back to work last Monday & it was a little sad. Not because I had to do all the work myself, but because it was just so nice to be with him all day, everyday.

Anyway, to pictures of little Oscar…


Gwen's first time looking at Oscar



We are so glad and thankful he's here. And a Huge thank you to our families & friends, for all the love & support these last couple of weeks. We surely appreciate it.

Love, The Rickters

6 comments:

Brad and Jamie said...

Congrats!!! Little Oscar is a definite keeper! He is too adorable...and those lips..muah! Love you guys!

Cami said...

Heather I have had 2 friends that had PUPPS. They were MISERABLE, just like you are I'm sure. Oh I feel for you, I hear the itching is unbearable. Good luck with that! I hope you feel better real soon.

Oscar is SUPER handsome and I'm so happy for you guys. Such a cute family you have.

Julie said...

I cannot wait to see you guys next week! He is such a babe. And Heathbar, let's get coffee Heathbar to sooth your itchiness. I bet it'll help.

Radfords said...

We miss that chubby face already..miss you guys too! Hope that rash goes away soon!

colliganclan said...

congrats! He is gorgeous! Your kids have the best lips ever...eat your heart our Angelina Jolie!

coca-cola angela said...

So excited for your cute family! Congrats!