Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Gwen Meredith

Gwen has arrived!!

Our little one has finally arrived. She was born Feb. 28 at 12:27 a.m. She weighed 7 lbs. 10 oz. and was 20 1/2 inches long. But lets start from the beginning (Not the beginning when she was made, but the beginning of labor). First of all, I want to say that Heather was the best pregnant lady ever! She had a really good pregnancy and worked until the day she delivered. She never complained, except occasionally that her belly was too big. I really do have the best wife ever!

On to the labor and delivery... Thursday night, Heather noticed that some liquid had come out, and she wasn't sure what it was. She went to bed and woke up to more liquid in the morning. She acted like it was nothing and was about to get ready for work. It took a lot of convincing to make her realize that her water might be leaking or have ruptured. We went to the hospital around noon, and the nurse confirmed that her water had ruptured. We were admitted and they put Heather on pitocin to speed things up. At around 1 pm she was dilated 4 cm and by 9 pm she made it to 10 cm. Heather pushed for about 2 hours and the baby was face-up instead of face-down, which made things harder for Heath. We feared a C-sections, but Heath kept pushing and got the baby out. Heath did a great job, and in fact, about 10 minutes after she was born, I asked her if she would do it again. The doctors said, "Whoa, way too early to ask that!" and Heath said she would do it again. My wife is such a trooper!


We want to give special thanks for all the family that came to help out. We appreciate it MUCHO and couldnt have done it without y'all. Thanks to all the friends that have visited us since Gwen's arrival, too.

Here are some pics of the process. Hope you all enjoy. Gwen is a great baby. We got home from the hospital Sunday afternoon and have managed to keep Gwen alive, even though we have let a few plants die in our day.


Jay, scared out of his mind and Heath nice and relaxed

Les and Shew-nah killing time and Jay with his crisp bean burrito!

Our first picture of Gwen... and her poor little bruised head from being "face up"

Heath's first time holding her
(It took almost an hour to close things up)

Grandma holding Gwen

Gwen showing off her muscles

Right after her first bath... she hated it!

Gwen in her cute little hat from her A. Jacki, U. Toddy and cousin Quinn

Jenn and Amelia Radford

The Payne's came for a visit

Gwen with Grandparents and Shauna

Gwen's new little friends... Adalyn and Tatiana

Jay with Gwen about to leave the hospital

Leaving the hospital

Leslie with Gwen, Juliann and little Mae (another new little friend for Gwen)

Mamma with Gwen... holding her little head up already :)


Some people have been asking where we got her names from; we got the name Gwen from our ward bulletin board...one day back in September we were at church looking at random names and came across the name Gwen. Neither of us personally know anyone named Gwen and thought it just sounded perfect. And her middle name Meredith is after my grandma. So there you have our little Gwen Meredith.

We're having a great time with our little girly and have loved having family in town and looking forward to other siblings, nephews and friends arriving in the next couple of weeks :) It's been fun to share this with so many people we love!

More pictures to come... I'm sure :)

14 comments:

Krista Griffiths said...

I just can't get enough of her!!! And yes, we do need more pictures!!! She is seriously so cute and you guys are such cute parents! Have fun with all the fam and give my little Prima a kiss for me :)

Julie said...

Oh my goodness, those LIPS! She is a doll! Heathbar you are crazy - getting ready to go to work after your water broke? I love you! I'm so happy for your family. :)

DeeAura said...

CONGRATS!!!! Heathbar, honey, you are SUCH a trooper! I hope to be as awesome as you someday! Congratulations again to you guys! She's such a little cutie!

Ash said...

YAY!! Congrats! Heather, hats off to you and way to go! I'm glad that things went so well. I have to say, there must be something about oldest daughters and coming face up--same story with Brooklyn...turkey... Anyways, she's adorable, congrats! I'm very jealous, hopefully I can join the post-pregnancy, cute newborn baby club again, soon!

sarita said...

She is beautiful! I wish we could be there to see her in person!

I'm so glad things went well and that everyone is healthy and happy!

Kathryn said...

So exciting! What a cute lil family, enjoy your new baby girl and hope to see you sometime soon!

Yoselin said...

Congratulations!!! Ricker you have an amazing wife and a beautiful daughter. Las fotos estan bien lindas y tu bebe esta bien grandota, bien bella.

Cami said...

Seriously guys...how cute is she!!!! Heather great job on the delivery. I'm so glad it went okay. I had to laugh at you wanting to go to work...typical Heather. lol. I can't wait to see more pictures of your little beauty. The last picture of Heather and Gwen is precious. I love the way you are smiling at her, you proud mama :) I wish I could come visit you and that baby! Please update soon!

coca-cola angela said...

Congrats you guys!!! And that Gwen is such a camera hog, I mean seriously! :) JK She is beautiful and I loved reading all about the birth. Hope you two are getting some sleep.

The Smeads said...

Congrats again! We cant wait to get over there to see her. Hope you guys are all doing well .We love you

Allison Hill said...

Oh my gosh, she is SO adorable! Congrats on being a family of 3 now! We're sad that we're so far away so keep posting lots of pics! And enjoy her while she's so small... I swear they get big way too fast! Love you guys!

Ireland Fam said...

So COOL! I love that we are going through this together. Seeing what a trooper you were before she was even born I bet you are going to have a fun time wanting to get up and move but have everyone telling you to STOP! It's hard if you feel better quickly but listen to them! You can really do damage to yourself. So take advantage of the room service and house cleaning even if you feel like you're up to it. Can't wait to see Gwen in person. Miss you so much.

Amelia said...

I already said congrats. But again: CONGRATS! she is a gorgeous little girl. all the boys are gonna love her. HAHA. good job guys she is a cutie. Love ya! :-)

Rob and Tonya Shallenberger said...

Congrats Heather and family. Love the pictures! I'm excited for you and for your future. (little sleep)

your cuz,
Tonya